Blog post by Jordan
Update 9/12/2015: Overall I was very pleased with my packing. The only thing I wish I had changed was brought a pair of gloves and a different, heavier jacket. We ran into lots of colder, unexpected weather and a heavier jacket would’ve helped. Also, you can see that I brought a lot of technology and rather expensive equipment with me. It was all for a good purpose, to film a short documentary, and we returned home with everything intact. There were some stressful moments on the trip, but nothing was stolen or broken.
My wife has asked me to detail how I packed. I have a background in film and cinema, and that has affected my travel priorities. i am taking very few items of camera gear but even fewer clothes. Most of this trip is for fun but I hope to discover some great stories and footage.
My packing list is as follows.
- 5 T-Shirts (one I am wearing)
- 3 long sleeve shirts (one I am wearing)
- 6 pairs of socks (wearing one)
- 6 pairs of underwear (wearing one)
- 1 swim suit just in case
- pajama bottoms (for extra warmth and staying in someone’s living room in Dubai)
- 2 pairs of jeans (wearing one)
- 1 small jacket with hood
- toiletries (glasses, contacts, retainer, toothbrush, etc.)
- Camera Canon T3i (it is small and super light and still takes nice photos and HD video for web release)
- Gopro Hero HD
- Lens filters
- eye mask
- Rode NTG2 and lapel mic
- extra batteries
- external hard drive 1Tb
- usb power brick
- Laptop with extra battery
- camera cards up to 128Gb
- card reader
- charging cables for laptop, cameras, phone, and ipad
- outlet converter
- earbuds (had to leave my headphones behind)
- All that paper work Adrianne wrote about
- on the way out the door I threw in a few more items including scented packet to make everything smell nice
- Total weight 28lbs
I put most all my camera gear in a small camera bag for those flights where I have to check my bag. I have a carry one sized backpack from ebags and it is awesome. It is a beast and has concealable backpack straps. Most of my packing method is for taking bus trips in South America. Need be, I can put my camera bag inside of my backpack but it makes it very large. I decided to leave my lucky bowling ball and steel-toed boots but I am sure I will make it without and have a wonderful time.